This is another recipe from Barbara Cousins most recent recipe book that has fast become a favourite in our house and is is super easy to adapt. This simple, one pan dish is gluten, dairy and egg free and takes less than 30 minutes to make (including prep!). Ideal for those chillier nights it’s a quick and easy go to when you’re not sure what to make and just want to use up what’s in your fridge or freezer.
4 gluten-free sausages
1 red onion – diced
100g of broccoli
2 large carrots
4 spears of asparagus
200ml gluten-free stock
400g chopped tomatoes
2 tsp tomato puree
Salt and Pepper to season
- Sweat the onion with a little oil in a pan until soft before adding the carrots and broccoli and cooking until soft
- Add the chopped sausage meat and tomato puree and cook for 2-5 minutes
- Add the stock and chopped tomatoes to the pan with some salt and pepper and simmer for 10-15 minutes
- Grill asparagus while the ragout is simmering
- Chop the grilled asparagus to add to the top of the ragout
- Serve up and enjoy!
The best thing about this dish is that you could easily make it vegan by changing the sausage for a vegan protein source. Plus you can use whatever vegetables you have to hand whether their fresh, frozen or canned to change the taste to suit you. You could even add some mustard or chilli along with the salt and pepper for a spicier take. It’s certainly an easy, adaptable recipe that everyone can enjoy.